Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Frying chicken causes Tampa apartment fire

TAMPA — A batch of chicken wings gone awry caused a fire at the Cove Apartments around 1 p.m. Sunday.

Zachary Lesinski, 23, told investigators he was frying the chicken wings in his apartment building at 4001 S West Shore Blvd. when the pot boiled over and grease bubbled onto the stove. The liquid caught fire.

According to Tampa Fire Rescue, Lesinski tried to smother the blaze, but was unsuccessful. He called 911 as he ran out of the apartment.

Smoke was coming from the second-story apartment when firefighters arrived. The fire was controlled within 20 minutes.

According to Tampa Fire Rescue, Lesinski's apartment suffered moderate damage from the flames and three nearby units were affected by smoke and water damage. Losses are estimated at about $100,000.

The American Red Cross was helping those displaced by the fire.

Frying chicken causes Tampa apartment fire 10/10/10 [Last modified: Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:02pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours