Gas leak in Ybor City apartments sends one to hospital

TAMPA — A man was hospitalized with nausea when firefighters reported a gas leak Saturday night in a laundry room at some Ybor City apartments.

Tampa Fire Rescue evacuated the building at 1612 E Seventh Ave., on Ybor's main drag, shortly after 10 p.m. A hazardous materiels team discovered the leak in a dryer hose in the laundry room for the second-floor apartments, authorities said.

Gas meters detected high concentrations of natural gas in some rooms and apartments, officials said. A 30-year-old man who lived there was sent to the hospital with mild symptoms of gas exposure.

Officials said it is unclear how long the leak was going on before it was detected. The crew repaired it and cleared gas trapped in the rooms using a vent truck. Residents were allowed back in their apartments shortly before midnight.

Gas leak in Ybor City apartments sends one to hospital 06/16/13 [Last modified: Sunday, June 16, 2013 2:45pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...