Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Gerbil rescued from fire

TAMPA — A gerbil named Sniffles was rescued Friday afternoon from a house fire, authorities said.

The fire at 401 E. Janette Ave. was started about 2:30 p.m. by a teenage boy trying to cook chicken and fries, according to Tampa Fire Rescue. Grease caught fire on the stove, and the boy was unable to extinguish the blaze. He was the only one home at the time, and he fled and called 911. Tampa Fire Rescue crews quickly put the fire out and rescued Sniffles, who they returned to the boy's family.

Sniffles was doing well Friday evening, authorities said. The boy and his family (and Sniffles, presumably) will stay with relatives.

Gerbil rescued from fire 01/18/13 [Last modified: Friday, January 18, 2013 6:26pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours