ST. PETERSBURG — A Gulfport firefighter was injured Wednesday when he fell off a roof while battling a house fire.
The firefighter, whose name was not released, was taken to Bayfront Medical Center in stable condition. He fell about 8 feet, said Lt. Joel Granata, spokesman for St. Petersburg Fire Rescue.
St. Petersburg and Gulfport firefighters responded to the fire at 1724 Scranton St. around 5 p.m. Heavy smoke and flames were in the attic, Granata said.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 20 minutes.
The injured firefighter was helping ventilate the home when he fell, Granata said.
"The roof is slippery from squirting water," he said. "It's a dangerous job up there."
The fire, which was caused by a lightning strike Tuesday evening, smoldered for nearly 24 hours before the fire became apparent. It caused about $20,000 damage.