Clear67° FULL FORECASTClear67° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page
Instagram

Heater running all night and day ignites Tampa home

TAMPA — Heating coils in a central air conditioning unit are being blamed for a house fire at 2016 E Humphrey Street on Sunday.

Just before 1 p.m., firefighters put out the blaze at the single-story house. Thomas Law, 72, who has owned the home for 18 years, and a friend, Wayne Dunbar, 46, escaped without injury.

Law told fire officials that his central air-conditioning unit had been running all night and through the morning, trying to keep the house warm. A fire investigator suspects that the heating coils within the unit failed, igniting the older wood-framed house.

More than $60,000 of damage was estimated to the house.

Justin George can be reached at (813) 226-3368 or jgeorge@sptimes.com.

Heater running all night and day ignites Tampa home 01/10/10 [Last modified: Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:34pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...