Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

House fire injures two teens in Pasco

A Sunday morning fire destroyed much of the home at 1132 Maybury Drive in Holiday, where two teens were rescued.

BRENDAN FITTERER | Times

A Sunday morning fire destroyed much of the home at 1132 Maybury Drive in Holiday, where two teens were rescued.

HOLIDAY — An overheated dryer started a large fire that engulfed a Holiday Lake Estates home and nearly killed two teenagers inside.

The flames destroyed much of the home at 1132 Maybury Drive early Sunday and threatened nearby houses.

Two teens — a boy and a girl — were airlifted to Tampa General Hospital, Pasco Fire Rescue Assistant Chief Mike Ciccarello said. The girl has been released; the boy remained hospitalized Tuesday afternoon.

Ciccarello would not release the names of the teens, but neighbor Robert Ruggiero said the girl was the daughter of the owner of the home, Sheryl Warren, and the boy was a friend. Warren was not there when the fire started.

A dryer was running inside the garage, and a clogged lint screen caused the machine to overheat, Ciccarello said.

There were no working smoke detectors inside the house.

Ruggiero said he spotted flames about 2:30 a.m. and called 911. Firefighters arrived at 2:39 a.m.

Two crews went into the home through the front door, Ciccarello said. They found the girl on the floor near the kitchen and carried her outside.

Then the firefighters re-entered the burning house. Using an infrared camera, they spotted the boy in a hallway near a bedroom, and carried him outside.

The crews went back in several times to search for a couple of children who also lived there before determining the children were not at home. In the meantime, they rescued a cat, who was revived with oxygen and given to a neighbor.

Both Ciccarello and Ruggiero lauded the work of fire rescue teams. In total, 23 personnel were sent to the home.

"It was unbelievable how fast they got there," Ruggiero said.

But Fire Rescue officials say there's also a lesson here: If the house had working smoke detectors, the teens would have been able to escape uninjured.

Nomaan Merchant can be reached at nmerchant@sptimes.com or (727) 869-6244.

>>fast facts

Dryer fires

Highly-flammable lint in an overheated clothes dryer can quickly spark a fire. The Consumer Products Safety Commission estimated that in 1998, the most recent year statistics were available, clothes dryers were associated with 15,600 fires, which resulted in 20 deaths and 370 injuries. Authorities recommend people:

• Clean the lint screen before or after drying each load of laundry.

• Make sure air is flowing through the outside dryer vent. If not, it's time to clear the vent or the exhaust duct behind the dryer.

• Clean behind the dryer, where lint can build up.

• Replace plastic or foil, accordion-type ducting material — which can easily collapse or fill with lint — with a rigid or corrugated semirigid metal duct.

Source: Consumer Products Safety Commission

House fire injures two teens in Pasco 08/19/08 [Last modified: Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:52pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Trial begins for man accused of threatening to kill Tampa federal judge

    Criminal

    TAMPA — Jason Jerome Springer was in jail awaiting trial on a firearms charge when he heard inmates talking about a case that had made the news.

    Jason Jerome Springer, 39, is accused of threatening to kill a U.S. District Judge Elizabeth Kovachevich, according to a federal indictment.  |Hernando County Sheriff's Office photo]
  2. Editorial: Tampa Electric customers should not pay for utility's fatal misjudgments

    Editorials

    There will be financial fallout from the terrible miscalculations that resulted in five workers being killed in June at Tampa Electric's Big Bend Power Station. State and federal regulators should ensure those costs are borne by the company's shareholders, not its customers. Monetary considerations will not begin to …

    LUIS SANTANA   |   Times
There will be financial fallout from the terrible miscalculations that resulted in five workers being killed in June at Tampa Electric's Big Bend Power Station. State and federal regulators should ensure those costs are borne by the company's shareholders, not its customers.
  3. Superior Uniform acquires Los Angeles-based PublicIdentity

    Corporate

    SEMINOLE — A subsidiary of Seminole-based Superior Uniform Group has acquired Los Angeles-based branded merchandise company PublicIdentity Inc.

    Superior Uniform Group CEO Michael Benstock
[Courtesy of Superior Uniform Group]
  4. Money is the issue as Hillsborough strains to fix school air conditioners

    K12

    TAMPA — With more than 200 repair requests tumbling in every day, school officials in Hillsborough County are broadening their circle of air conditioning mechanics as they struggle to control a debilitating cycle of breakdowns and sweltering classrooms.

    Hillsborough school officials want to expand the number of contractors who work on broken school air conditioning systems. But it all gets rolled into a workload that has increased by 40 percent since 2011. "With no increase in budget, no increase in equipment and no increase in manpower, and as the equipment gets older and needs more maintenance, this is going to continue to grow," said Robert Weggman, general manager of maintenance." [iStockphoto.com
]
  5. At Bayonet Point Middle School, solar eclipse becomes a lesson

    K12

    NEW PORT RICHEY — At 2:30 Monday afternoon, students and faculty members streamed out of their classrooms and onto the athletic fields at Bayonet Point Middle School. The attraction: the solar eclipse.

    Isiah Echevarria, 10, left, and Andy Shaw, 11, right, take in the solar eclipse during a schoolwide viewing Monday afternoon at Bayonet Point Middle School in New Port Richey. "It's pretty cool," said Andy, 11. "This is actually my first eclipse. The next eclipse won't be for at least 30 years."