Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Kitchen fire displaces mom, 2 kids in St. Petersburg

ST. PETERSBURG — A mother and her two children were displaced from their home after a fire broke out in their kitchen Thursday evening.

Crews were called to 5662 18th Way S., Apt. C at about 6:45 p.m.

Authorities said the mother was cooking french fries on the stove and left the food unattended.

Hot grease caught on fire and ignited a plastic container, said Lt. Joel Granata of St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue. The fire then spread to cabinets above the stove.

The apartment had working smoke alarms and the family was able to escape without injury. They are being assisted by the Red Cross.

Kitchen fire displaces mom, 2 kids in St. Petersburg 09/02/10 [Last modified: Thursday, September 2, 2010 10:09pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours