Monday, December 11, 2017
Public safety

Largo couple loses nearly everything in house fire

LARGO — Sylvia Sprague kept her hands busy Wednesday afternoon.

She milled about, checking belongings pulled from a fire that engulfed her home at 913 N Palm Drive SW just before 10 a.m. Wednesday. She lit a cigarette, screwed the cap on and off of a water bottle, put her hands on her hips.

Sprague, 60, paused only for a moment to survey the charred remains of her home. As she stood on the lawn, tears rolled down her cheeks. She wiped them away with seared fingertips and took an unsteady breath.

"I feel so terrible," she said. "So tired, so — lost. Everything's gone."

Her husband, Claude Sprague, 64, lingered nearby. Their 4-year-old Chi-poo dog, Precious, perished in the blaze.

"I kept calling her name," Sylvia Sprague said. "All the way out, I kept calling for her."

Sprague escaped through the front door after she awoke to the sound of a fire alarm Wednesday morning. Yellowish smoke filled the house, she said. It burned her eyes, her lungs.

"I didn't know what was going on," she said. "I just ran out. I was still in my pajamas."

Claude Sprague wasn't there when the fire ignited. He said he had gone shopping when Largo police called to say Sylvia had been taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

"The main thing is we're alive," he said.

Largo Fire Rescue spokesman David Mixson said the home is a total loss. It was not immediately clear what sparked the blaze, he said, though the Spragues suspect it was electrical.

Claude Sprague has lived in that house for 26 years, he said.

Friends and family converged on the house Wednesday afternoon to help the couple remove whatever belongings were salvageable.

Among the items pulled unmarred from the scene: stacks of photo albums.

"At least these are okay," Sylvia Sprague said as she opened and closed the books.

The couple will be staying with family members in Clearwater for the time being. They're still in shock, they said.

"It's all gone," Claude Sprague said. "All of it."

Marissa Lang can be reached at [email protected] or (727) 445-4155.

Comments

Pets rescued from fire at Tampa apartment complex (with video)

TAMPA — Firefighters rescued a cat and a dog from a blaze Monday that severely damaged an eight-unit apartment building in the Lowry Park area of Tampa.The fire started about 3:30 p.m. inside a two-story building at the Brookshire Townhomes, at 1910 ...
Updated: 1 hour ago
Tree trimmer shocked by power line in Clearwater, authorities say

Tree trimmer shocked by power line in Clearwater, authorities say

CLEARWATER — A 38-year-old tree trimmer is in critical condition after he was shocked by a power line Monday, according to Clearwater Fire & Rescue.Ernest Harlen, of Largo, was on a ladder cutting trees with a pole saw when he was shocked just before...
Updated: 2 hours ago
Father of Seminole Heights victim repairing damage after vandals hit son’s memorial

Father of Seminole Heights victim repairing damage after vandals hit son’s memorial

TAMPA — Weeks after burying his son Anthony Naiboa, one of four people gunned down over the span of 51 days in Seminole Heights, Casimar Naiboa has a new and unwanted ritual.He drives past a makeshift memorial his family made for his son, set up wher...
Updated: 4 hours ago
Bomb strapped to man explodes in New York subway; 3 hurt

Bomb strapped to man explodes in New York subway; 3 hurt

NEW YORK — A man inspired by the Islamic State group set off a crude pipe bomb strapped to his body Monday in a crowded subway corridor near Times Square, injuring the man, slightly wounding three others and sending New York commuters fleeing in terr...
Updated: 5 hours ago
Lakewood High on lockout after report of weapon on campus

Lakewood High on lockout after report of weapon on campus

Lakewood High in St. Petersburg was placed on lockdown Monday morning following reports of a weapon on campus, but the threat was later downgraded and the school was placed in lockout status instead. St. Petersburg Police spokeswoman Sandra Bentil s...
Updated: 7 hours ago

Space heater may have sparked fire that destroyed St. Petersburg home

ST. PETERSBURG — A space heater may have sparked a fire that destroyed a home in St. Petersburg on Sunday afternoon.St. Petersburg fire officials say the fire occurred some time before 3 p.m. at 1225 21st St. S.According to St. Petersburg Fire Rescue...
Updated: 7 hours ago
Firefighters brace for second week of California wildfires

Firefighters brace for second week of California wildfires

LOS ANGELES — As Southern California enters its second week engulfed in flames, fire officials anticipate more growth and danger due to continued strong wind gusts, no rain and decades-old dry vegetation. A powerful flare-up on the western edge of th...
Updated: 11 hours ago
Reasons elusive as Pinellas EMS demand skyrockets

Reasons elusive as Pinellas EMS demand skyrockets

When the fire chief asked if anyone in the room had fallen before, a few in the gray- and white-haired crowd raised their hands. One woman lost her footing as she was answering the phone. Another saw a palmetto bug, sprayed it with repellent, then s...
Published: 12/11/17
‘What I am detained for?’ Comedian Hannibal Buress arrested in Miami

‘What I am detained for?’ Comedian Hannibal Buress arrested in Miami

Popular comedian Hannibal Buress was arrested Saturday night in Wynwood on a disorderly intoxication charge after an encounter with a police officer.Buress, 34, was booked into a Miami-Dade jail at 1:57 a.m. Sunday and posted bail just before 6 a.m.,...
Published: 12/10/17
Florida Uber driver charged with sexual assault of passenger

Florida Uber driver charged with sexual assault of passenger

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A Florida Uber driver is facing charges that he sexually assaulted a drunken passenger.The Orlando Sentinel reports that 38-year-old Jorge Alberto Antunez Quintero was charged this week with sexual battery after an investigation ...
Published: 12/09/17