A 6,000-square-foot home in Seffner caught fire late Thursday night after a candle was accidentally knocked over in a bedroom, causing at least four people to be displaced, according to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.
Around 10:40 p.m., fire crews received a call that a residential structure was on fire at 318 Cactus Rd.
When they arrived, firefighters reported seeing large flames and heavy smoke coming from the roof of the house and assisted the homeowners who were fleeing.
One firefighter was transported from the scene with minor injuries and has since been released. One of the homeowners had minor burns but refused transport to the hospital, fire officials said.
It took crews about two hours to get the fire under control and start the overhaul process, officials said.
The overhaul process involves finding hidden fires that may be smoldering between walls and the roof. The home had gone under several renovations and additions, fire officials said, making the process longer, as it was more difficult for crews to locate other fires.
It took about five hours — with some heavier equipment being brought in — to complete the process, officials said.
The home appears to be a total loss, officials saids.