Log from fire pit blamed for Largo fire that causes minor injuries

LARGO — A log from a fire pit may have started a house fire that caused minor injures to two early Sunday, authorities said.

Fire crews responded to a house fire about 1:40 a.m. at 1263 20th Ave. SW near Largo.

One of the home's residents, George Bugarin, 34, was putting out a fire pit in the front yard. He removed a piece of firewood that he thought had not heated up and put it back in a wood pile next to the home, Pinellas County sheriff's detectives said. He then went inside.

Shortly after, the family smelled smoke. Members of the family tried to put out the fire with a garden hose but were unsuccessful.

Emergency crews took Bugarin and his mother, 63-year-old Diane Bugarin, to Largo Medical Center for treatment of smoke inhalation. Both have been released.

Investigators say the home was a total loss and the American Red Cross was called to assist the family.

Log from fire pit blamed for Largo fire that causes minor injuries 12/12/10 [Last modified: Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:25pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...