LARGO — A man was found dead in the aftermath of an apartment fire early Saturday morning, fire officials said.
Firefighters responded at about 6:15 a.m. to a report of a burning smell at the Laguna Vista Apartments, 555 Belcher Road S. When they arrived, heavy smoke was pouring out the window of a second-floor apartment.
As firefighters moved inside to fight the blaze, they found a man in his late 50s passed out in a chair in the living room, said Largo Fire Rescue district chief Josh Stefancic.
The man was brought outside, where rescue personnel tried to try to revive him. He was pronounced dead at 6:50 a.m., Stefancic said.
It was not immediately known if the man, whom officials did not identify, died as a result of the fire, officials said.
There were no working smoke detectors in the apartment.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, contained in a bedroom, Stefancic said. No other apartments were damaged.
The Largo Police Department and State Fire Marshal's office are investigating.