Overcast64° FULL FORECASTOvercast64° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page
Instagram

Morning fire interrupts family's Thanksgiving

TAMPA — An electrical fire cut Thanksgiving short for one North Tampa family Thursday morning.

Calvin Newson and Vivian Gary-Newson were at home with two teenage children just before 7 a.m. when smoke and fire overtook the back office. Gary-Newson told firefighters she awoke, turned on electronics in that room, then dozed back to sleep only to reawaken to the flames.

The family escaped from the home, 8613 N 37 St., unharmed, according to Tampa Fire Rescue Capt. Bill Wade. And though the house had smoke alarms, they didn't sound.

Firefighters from North Tampa, Sulphur Springs, Jackson Heights and Seminole Heights helped bring the fire under control within 15 minutes.

An investigator said the blaze started as a result of an electrical malfunction.

Damages are estimated to be at least 65,000 dollars. The American Red Cross responded to help the family find shelter.

Morning fire interrupts family's Thanksgiving 11/26/09 [Last modified: Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:10pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...