weather unavailableweather unavailable
Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

No one injured in Dunedin condo fire

DUNEDIN — No one was injured in an overnight blaze sparked by a malfunctioning elevator motor at a condominium, authorities said.

Dunedin firefighters were called to the eight-story Forbes Building at Royal Stewart Arms condominium complex at 9 Forbes Place about 4:20 a.m. Monday.

A working fire alarm system alerted residents, who were able to evacuate safely, according to the Dunedin Fire Department.

Firefighters determined that the electrical fire started in an elevator motor in a first-floor elevator machinery room and were able to contain the fire to that area. The building's elevators were out of commission after the fire, authorities said.

Firefighters were able to use natural ventilation to evacuate smoke from the first-floor areas of the structure.

Damage was estimated at $8,000.

No one injured in Dunedin condo fire 01/10/11 [Last modified: Monday, January 10, 2011 4:27pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours