TAMPA — A fire that started in a teenager's bedroom early Friday badly damaged a home in Northdale and killed the family cat, Hillsborough Fire Rescue said.
The fire spread to the attic and a hallway. Fire officials say they believe the blaze was an accident.
While one cat died, two others survived. The unidentified family was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene. Neighbors have opened their homes to help.
The smoke alarms were not working and the batteries had not been changed in several years, said fire investigator Dave Tucker. No other details were immediately available.