Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Overloaded electrical outlet likely sparked Brookridge mobile home fire, officials say

BROOKRIDGE — Hernando County fire officials believe a blaze that destroyed a triple-wide mobile home and displaced a family of eight Monday was likely caused because the family had multiple electrical appliances plugged into one outlet.

Flames tore through the home at 15580 Brookridge Blvd. shortly after 2 p.m. and cast a thick cloud of smoke over the Brookridge community, west of Brooksville.

By the time emergency responders arrived, flames had already destroyed more than half of the home.

About 80 percent of the home was eventually damaged in the blaze, according to a Sheriff's Office report, with "really not anything of value left."

No one was at home at the time and no injuries were reported, but two pit bulls died from injuries they suffered in the fire.

The owner of the home, Tyrone Hill, 42, told authorities that all of his family's belongings were packed in boxes throughout the home because they were preparing to move into a new home. Hill said he didn't remember leaving on any electronic equipment and wasn't sure what could have started the fire.

State fire marshal Lawrence Maffia said he believes the fire was accidental.

He noted that a number of appliances were plugged into a single outlet, with extension cords running through the house.

The Red Cross made arrangements to help Hill; his wife, Brandy, and their six children.

Overloaded electrical outlet likely sparked Brookridge mobile home fire, officials say 02/02/10 [Last modified: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 8:18pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours