Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Pot on stove sparks Tampa apartment fire

TAMPA — A pot left on a stove top sparked a fire at Johnson Court Apartments on Monday, Tampa Fire Rescue said.

Crews responded to the apartment at 5711 Troy Court just before 1 p.m. and saw smoke and flames coming from a third-floor apartment, officials said. Firefighters had the flames under control within 25 minutes and stopped the fire from spreading to other units. No injuries were reported.

Investigators with the Tampa Fire Marshals Office determined the fire started in Apartment 308 after Jenitha Adams, 29, left the stove on while she took a phone call outside. When Adams remembered she left the burners on, she asked a cousin to turn them off, but the cousin turned only one off, officials said.

The fire did at least $50,000 in damage to the apartment. Water damaged several surrounding apartments.

The Red Cross is helping three families, including Adams and her mother, who live together.

Pot on stove sparks Tampa apartment fire 02/28/11 [Last modified: Monday, February 28, 2011 3:36pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours