TAMPA — A fire in a large commercial oven did an estimated $50,000 in damage to a building behind La Lechonera restaurant Sunday morning, Tampa fire officials say.
The restaurant, which is at 5601 N Armenia Ave., was not affected and remained open for lunch and dinner Sunday. No one was hurt, officials say.
About 5 a.m. Sunday, workers at the restaurant began using the oven, one of several inside a small building behind the restaurant's main building, to start cooking pork for the day's meals.
The oven apparently malfunctioned, overcooking the meat and starting a fire, officials said. Firefighters responded at 7:17 a.m. with four fire engines, one ladder truck, two rescue cars and a couple of chief officers. Fire stations in Hilldale, Seminole Heights, Robles Park and West Tampa sent an estimated 26 personnel to the scene.
Firefighters found smoke coming from the small building and brought the fire under control within 10 minutes. The damage was limited to the one oven and the surrounding structure.