Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Seminole family escapes house fire

SEMINOLE — Maria Scarzafava was having one of those late-night cravings that only frozen egg rolls can cure.

She put them on the stove about 3 a.m., then went to use the bathroom.

When she returned, she said, flames were climbing above the stove top.

"It just got out of control," said Scarzafava, 60.

She tried to stifle the blaze, throwing flour, baking soda and other dry powders on the fire.

It was no use.

The flames consumed the cabinets and licked the ceiling.

That's when she knew it was time to escape.

Scarzafava woke her 90-year-old mother, Theresa D'Antoni, and Todd Hageman, 50. The three escaped through the house's front and back doors before the fire consumed the rest of their home at 12133 Rhonda Ter.

By the time Seminole Fire Rescue arrived on the scene, the blaze had grown so out of control that firefighters were forced to call for reinforcements.

Largo Fire Rescue and Pinellas Suncoast Fire Rescue helped, said Seminole Chief George Bessler, and within an hour and a half, firefighters were able to get the fire under control. But every part of the house had smoke, fire or water damage, he said, and the 2,020-square-foot home was considered a total loss.

"We're just glad to get out of there alive," Scarzafava said.

Hageman said they were so worried about getting out unscathed that they didn't think to take anything with them.

"You'd think you'd have time to go in and get stuff out," he said. "But when it's blazing like that. …"

Among the items feared to have been lost to the fire are several dozen of D'Antoni's paintings. She crafted landscapes and portraits of her children, grandchildren and pets, Scarzafava said, and she had hoped to give them to family members as gifts.

Bessler said the Red Cross will help the displaced family with temporary housing, clothing and food.

Seminole family escapes house fire 06/20/12 [Last modified: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:48pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Mikhail Sergachev scores twice as Lightning shuts out Blue Jackets (w/ video)

    Lightning Strikes

    COLUMBUS, Ohio — Mikhail Sergachev said he blacked out for a few seconds after his first NHL goal Thursday night, a rocket slap shot from the point.

    Mikhail Sergachev, front, looks like he’s very in the moment with teammate Dan Girardi after scoring his first NHL goal, though he says he blacked out for a bit. He scores again in the second.
  2. Another suspicious death in Tampa's Seminole Heights

    Crime

    TAMPA — Police were investigating what they were calling a suspicious death in southeast Seminole Heights Thursday night, near the location of two fatal shootings last week.

    Interim Tampa police Chief Brian Dugan addresses reporters about the latest suspicious death in southeast Seminole Heights Thursday night. [JONATHAN CAPRIEL | Times]
  3. Duke tops preseason coaches' basketball poll; Gators No. 7

    College

    Duke has been tabbed basketball's preseason No. 1 for the second straight season in the coaches' poll, released Thursday.

    Florida point guard Chris Chiozza launches the shot of last season’s NCAA Tournament, a winning 3
against Wisconsin that put the Gators into the Elite Eight. Chiozza returns to lead a UF team that’s getting its share of preseason attention, including a No. 7 ranking in the coaches’ poll.
  4. Richard Spencer speaks, and Gainesville emerges weary but at peace

    News

    GAINESVILLE — Fists raised, a sea of defiant student protesters at the University of Florida relentlessly shouted down the white nationalist on stage. Richard Spencer paced, irritated, clinging to his chance to talk.

    Protesters scream at supporters of Richard Spencer after his speech at the Phillips Center at the University of Florida.  [Thursday October 19, 2017] [Photo Luis Santana | Times]
  5. Pentagon investigating troubling questions after deadly Niger ambush

    Military

    WASHINGTON — Defense Secretary James N. Mattis, troubled by a lack of information two weeks after an ambush on a special operations patrol in Niger left four U.S. soldiers dead, is demanding a timeline of what is known about the attack, as a team of investigators sent to West Africa begins its work.