Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Seminole woman escapes house fire caused by faulty refrigerator

Sue Campbell, 73, sits with her daughter, Lisa Viera, and is treated by rescue workers after tripping over a fan in her house.

CHERIE DIEZ | Times

Sue Campbell, 73, sits with her daughter, Lisa Viera, and is treated by rescue workers after tripping over a fan in her house.

SEMINOLE — Sue Campbell's scary 5:30 a.m. wakeup call could have been worse.

As she slept early Wednesday, the extra refrigerator in her game room was catching fire, an electrical mishap that would demolish the room and render her home uninhabitable for months.

But Campbell, 73, made it out without a scratch.

Her hard-wired alarm system woke her up, giving her time to escape. She called 911 and then her daughter, Lisa Viera, who also lives in the Carriage Bay subdivision.

"When the phone rings at 6 a.m., it's never something good," Viera said.

Seminole Fire Rescue spokeswoman Alison Shanabrook credited the alarm system for Campbell's swift and safe exit. "Not only did we get the 911 call from her, but we were also getting alerted through her alarm-system monitoring company," she said.

Shanabrook recommended residents check their batteries twice a year. An easy way to remember is marking the checks with the time change, she said.

Campbell's next-door neighbor, Ann Waite, came over when she heard fire trucks. She said she saw flames shooting up from the roof.

"I thought, 'What is all that racket?' " Waite said. "I was horrified when I came out."

The fire left Campbell stranded in her pajamas, so Waite brought her a jacket, lawn chair and slippers.

Campbell said she and her late husband, Fred, built the home about 30 years ago and planned to sell it. But they decided to stay and develop the subdivision after falling in love with the area.

She has lived alone since Fred's death two years ago. After he died, she took out the pool table and made it more suitable for entertaining church friends.

The pale blue walls, new carpet, television, new couch and chairs in her entertainment room are all black now, charred by the blaze that blew out the room's window.

By 7 a.m., she still hadn't peeked inside.

"He said it's a mess in there, so I hate to even think about what it's going to look like," she said.

A firefighter told her she wouldn't be living in the house for a long time.

Still, Campbell and her friends managed to chuckle at small things, like mailing a slightly charred and already stamped birthday card from her purse just for kicks.

"What can you do?" she said.

Seminole woman escapes house fire caused by faulty refrigerator 03/10/10 [Last modified: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:02pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Search for missing Army helicopter crew suspended in Hawaii

    Military

    HONOLULU — Officials have suspended the search for five Army soldiers who were aboard a helicopter that crashed during offshore training in Hawaii last week.

    Water safety officials hand over possible debris from an Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crash to military personnel stationed at a command center in a harbor, Wednesday in Haleiwa, Hawaii, a day after. an Army helicopter with five on board crashed several miles off Oahu's North Shore. Officials  suspended the search for five Army soldiers in a helicopter crash during offshore training in Hawaii on Monday. [Associated Press]
  2. Rubio praises Trump for 'excellent' speech on Afghanistan

    Blogs

    Sen. Marco Rubio praised President Donald Trump's "excellent" speech on Afghanistan. Sen. Bill Nelson was less effusive but agreed with the goal.

  3. Gov. Rick Scott blasts report of shifting words on Charlottesville

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott, one of the most scripted politicians in modern Florida history, said Monday that "both sides” bear blame for Charlottesville.

  4. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  5. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.