CLEARWATER — A smoke detector alerted an adult and three children to an early morning apartment fire Tuesday, authorities said.
All four were able to escape the blaze, which destroyed the second-floor apartment at Ross Norton Park Apartments at 1450 S Martin Luther King Jr. St.
No one was injured, though the three children were checked out by paramedics at the scene, officials said.
Clearwater Fire and Rescue was summoned to the apartment around 12:45 a.m. When firefighters arrived, they saw fire in the kitchen and smoke coming from the second floor window of apartment 502, according to a news release. The four occupants had already gotten out of the building.
Unit 502 had heavy fire damage and was determined to be uninhabitable. A neighboring unit sustained some smoke damage, officials said.
Residents from both units were displaced and are staying with relatives or being assisted by the American Red Cross.
The blaze drew nearly two dozen firefighters, who got the blaze under control in about 20 minutes. Investigators determined the fire stemmed from an electrical issue. Damage was estimated at $80,000.
Fire officials said the situation was a reminder that an operable smoke detector can save lives and asked residents to check their detectors regularly to make sure they're working properly.
City residents can also get a free smoke detector from the Clearwater Fire and Rescue fire prevention officials by calling (727) 562-4327.