Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Space heater fire destroys St. Petersburg home

ST. PETERSBURG — Annie Burton-Scott was gone for only 10 minutes and was just three blocks away from her home Monday when she realized she had left behind Christmas presents for her daughter.

But when the 58-year-old returned home about 3 p.m., officials said, the house was in flames.

The house was declared a total loss by St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue, which got the fire under control in about 15 minutes.

"She said the whole living room was engulfed in flames when she got here," said Lt. Joel Granata. "Then it spread throughout the house."

Firefighters believe a space heater may be to blame for the fire that destroyed the one-story concrete block house at 3086 Melrose Ave. S. The home­owner said she left the unit on when she left.

The home has central heat, but the owner told firefighters she couldn't afford to get it fixed. She also said she couldn't afford insurance. The American Red Cross was called in to help her.

No one was injured in the fire, Granata said. But a neighbor who has asthma was taken to a hospital because of heavy smoke from the fire.

The fire department offered these safety tips for space heaters: They must be kept at least 3 feet from anything combustible and kept in good working order; and they should never be used with extension cords, propped up on furniture or used as a main source of heat.

Space heater fire destroys St. Petersburg home 12/27/10 [Last modified: Monday, December 27, 2010 10:00pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Jones: Bucs need success to get national respect

    Bucs

    Tampa Bay Times columnist Tom Jones offers up his Two Cents on the world of sports.

    No respect

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Dirk Koetter walks the field during the second day of mandatory minicamp at One Buccaneer Place in Tampa, Fla., on Wednesday, June 14, 2017. LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times
  2. Hopes fade after landslide destroys Chinese village (w/video)

    World

    Crews searching through the night in the rubble left by a landslide that buried a mountain village under tons of soil and rocks in southwestern China found 15 bodies, but more than 110 more people remained missing.

    Vehicles and people line a road leading to the site of a landslide in Xinmo village in Mao County on Saturday in southwestern China’s Sichuan Province. More than 100 people remained missing after the village was buried under tons of rocks and soil.
  3. Rookie Jake Faria dissatisfied with performance in Rays' loss to Orioles

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — The rookie pitcher walked to his locker Saturday after tossing the fourth quality start in as many tries to begin his career. He held the potent Orioles bats to three runs and for six innings gave his team a chance to win.

    Orioles third baseman Manny Machado tags out the Rays’ Mallex Smith at third after a rundown in the first inning.
  4. Thousands converge in two St. Pete locations celebrating LGBT rights

    Human Interest

    ST. PETERSBURG — Tom Rockhill didn't know what to expect Saturday, but by noon people were knocking on the door of his bar Right Around the Corner in Grand Central.

    (From left to right) Emma Chalut 18, gets a rainbow sticker on her cheek from her sister Ellie, 15 both of Jacksonville before the annual St. Pete Pride parade in downtown St. Petersburg on Saturday. This year the route was changed from the Grand Central and Kenwood area to Bayshore Drive.
[EVE EDELHEIT   |   Times]
  5. Retired Florida Supreme Court Justice Parker Lee McDonald dies

    TALLAHASSEE — A former Florida Supreme Court justice, who wrote a decision that prevented lawyers from excluding jurors because of their race, has died.

    Former Florida Supreme Court Justice Parker Lee McDonald died Saturday, the court said in a statement. He was 93.