Scattered Clouds72° FULL FORECASTScattered Clouds72° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Space heater sparks fire at Lutz home

LUTZ — A space heater sparked a fire at a two-story home Wednesday morning. No one was injured.

It happened about 6:30 a.m. at 17928 Livingston Ave. Rescuers arrived to find flames coming from a second-floor bedroom.

Officials said the fire was under control in about 20 minutes. A loss estimate was not immediately available.

The fire was attributed to a space heater that was too close to a bed. Hillsborough Fire Rescue said the incident offered a reminder about electric space heater safety.

Heaters should be certified by a nationally recognized laboratory, have a thermostat control mechanism and be able to automatically turn off if the heater falls over.

They shouldn't be used to dry clothes or as tables, and they should be kept at least 3 feet away from anything that could catch fire.

Officials remind people to unplug space heaters when not in use and before going to bed.

Follow This Just In on Twitter.

Space heater sparks fire at Lutz home 01/06/10 [Last modified: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:07pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2015 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours