ST. PETERSBURG — Fire officials are investigating what they called an arson that displaced a mother and four children late Tuesday.
Fire crews responded to 1204 Upton Court S about 11 p.m. after receiving multiple calls.
No one was home at the time of the blaze. The home was likely a complete loss.
The fire began on the front porch and moved into the house. Fire officials did not know what was used to start the fire, and there were no witnesses.
The home had no power, but the homeowner was using an extension cord connected to a neighbor's house to power a microwave oven and lights, according to St. Petersburg Fire & Rescue Lt. Joel Granata. He said the power cord did not play a role in the fire.
Yashica Clemmons said she and her four children, ages 3 to 13, lost everything in the blaze, according to Bay News 9. "It's very hard,'' she said. "Everything I had was in that house. The only thing we have is the clothes on our back.''
The family is receiving assistance from the Red Cross.