Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Stove fire sends Tampa man to hospital

TAMPA — A fire that started on a stove injured a man Friday night, according to Tampa Fire Rescue.

Firefighters responded to 3608 E Grove Street about 7:42 p.m. and found the house full of smoke. Two residents told them that someone was still inside, Fire Rescue said. Firefighters found Shelly Mitchell, 74, laying unresponsive in a back room.

Mitchell was taken to Tampa General Hospital in critical condition.

Investigators determined the fire, which was put out prior to firefighters' arrival, was caused by an unattended item left on the stove and has been ruled accidental, Fire Rescue said. The home, which is near North 40th Street and East Sligh Avenue, had about $1,500 in damage.

Stove fire sends Tampa man to hospital 04/21/12 [Last modified: Saturday, April 21, 2012 11:03am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours