Tampa apartment fire called accidental, no one injured

TAMPA — At least one family is homeless after a second-floor electrical fire at the Regent Apartment Homes, 4127 Busch Blvd.

The fire started just before 9:30 a.m. Monday in the bedroom of Apt. 7, Tampa fire Capt. Bill Wade said. Chanrotie Brooks, 44, and her teenage child left the house about 7 a.m. and were not home when the fire broke out.

Brenda Reynolds, 44, was asleep in the unit directly above, Apt. 11, when she awoke to smoke and fear, grabbed her cockatiel, Pretty Bird, and fled.

Flames jumped out of the second-floor apartment window.

In the building next door, Cathy Kulon, 53, said she was on her computer when her daughter Stacy Schultz, 37, yelled that there was a fire.

Kulon called 911 while Schultz grabbed a fire extinguisher and ran to the next building, where she started knocking on doors to get people out.

Wade said the cause appears to accidental and electrical in origin. Fire officials are focusing their investigation on a surge protector in the bedroom near the bed, he said.

The complex is across Busch Boulevard from Mel's Hot Dogs, near Busch Gardens.

Tampa apartment fire called accidental, no one injured 08/31/09 [Last modified: Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:37am]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...