SULPHUR SPRINGS — Firefighters rescued two dogs from a Tampa house fire Wednesday morning.
Tampa police officers noticed smoke coming from a home in the 8400 block of N 10th Street and called Tampa Fire Rescue. When firefighters arrived, they quickly extinguished a fire in the kitchen, apparently caused by a faulty burner.
However, smoke had filled the home, and firefighters discovered two unconscious dogs.
Firefighters carried the dogs — a pit bull terrier named Shyla and Jack Russell terrier named Rocco — outside and used oxygen masks specifically made for pets.
The dogs were okay, Fire Rescue officials said.
Nobody was home at the time and there were no reported injuries, other than to the dogs.
The story has been corrected to reflect updated information on the cause of the fire and the dogs' names. Details initially provided by Tampa Fire Rescue and the Tampa Police Department were incorrect.