weather unavailableweather unavailable
Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Tampa man hospitalized with burns after kitchen grease fire

TAMPA — A man was hospitalized for burn injuries after his kitchen caught fire Thursday night.

It happened in a downstairs unit of University Oakwood Apartments, 1260 E 113th Ave., when a pan of grease on the stove caught fire around 9:45 p.m., according to Tampa Fire Rescue.

Firefighters put out the flames in around 15 minutes, and the fire was confined to one apartment, they said.

Chauncey Mebane, 22, was treated for burn injuries after, fire officials said, he picked up the pan of grease while it was on fire. The grease splashed onto his body while he tried to take it outside.

They took him to Tampa General Hospital with serious, but not life-threatening, injuries. He was in good condition Friday morning.

Mebane was in the apartment with his girlfriend, investigators said. They said Mebane's injuries could have been avoided had he picked up the burning pan with a kitchen mitt or smothered the fire with a pan lid.

Damages to his apartment were about $6,000, investigators said.

About 30 firefighters from several stations arrived to fight the flames.

Follow This Just In on Twitter.

Tampa man hospitalized with burns after kitchen grease fire 02/12/10 [Last modified: Friday, February 12, 2010 5:27pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours