Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Thoughtless moment sets off house fire

ST. PETERSBURG — Lisa Threadcraft moved her family's belongings into her mother's house on Thursday, leaving boxes full of pots, pans and food on the stove.

Friday morning, Progress Energy turned the power on, heating up the stove and setting the boxes on fire.

Threadcraft returned to the house with another load in her minivan later that morning and saw firefighters at the house at 2532 Fourth Ave. S.

The blaze had scorched the kitchen, causing about $10,000 damage to the home that has been in her family for years.

"I was devastated," said Threadcraft, 35. "I didn't know the stove was on."

St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue investigators said they believe the stove was either left on while the power was off; or that Threadcraft bumped the knob while she was moving in.

"That happens all the time, all the time," said fire Lt. Joel Granata. "Don't put anything on the stove at all. If you're not going to cook on it, it should be clear."

The Red Cross paid for a three-night stay in a hotel for Threadcraft and her three daughters, Alvena Baker, 14, Zaria Johnson, 9, and Shaunt'e Shuler, 4.

Now they're looking for temporary housing while the house is repaired. Threadcraft said her mother's insurance will cover the damage to the house but not to her property.

The family returned to the home Friday evening to show St. Petersburg Times journalists the damage.

The kitchen was burned, but most of the house escaped fire damage. Still, the gray walls in other rooms reeked of smoke.

"Your Tweety bird blanket got burned up. It's right there," Threadcraft said to her oldest daughter, pointing to charred belongings piled on the lawn.

"Oh, my gosh, my blanket!" Alvena said.

Threadcraft lectured the children to not make the mistake she had.

"The lesson to be learned from this: Do not put stuff on the stove," Threadcraft told them. "Do not assume that the stove is off."

Threadcraft said she moved belongings into the home Thursday, but she and her girls didn't stay at the house that night because the power wasn't on.

After the power was turned on Friday, a Good Samaritan saw smoke and called 911. When Threadcraft arrived and realized the house was on fire, she cried.

Threadcraft's mother, who lives in Colorado, bought the house years ago when she lived in St. Petersburg, where Threadcraft was born. Threadcraft was moving into the home to avoid the steep rent at her St. Petersburg apartment.

She couldn't believe she started a fire in the house her mom has owned for so long.

But she said her mother forgave her.

Times staff writer Jamal Thalji and researcher Caryn Baird contributed to this report. Stephanie Garry can be reached at (727) 892-2374 or sgarry@sptimes.com.

Thoughtless moment sets off house fire 01/02/09 [Last modified: Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:40pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Lost Highway: As FHP struggles to recruit, speeding tickets plummet

    State Roundup

    TALLAHASSEE — The number of speeding tickets written by Florida state troopers has plunged three straight years as the agency grapples with a personnel shortage and high turnover.

    A Florida Highway Patrol Academy class in the late 1980s. Typically, graduating classes had about 80 recruits. But the most recent class has less than half that as the agency continues to struggle to fill vacancies. [

Florida: Highway Patrol]
  2. Kidpreneurs — and adults — capitalize on gooey, squishy Slime craze

    Retail

    First it was Play-Doh. Then Gak. There have been dozens of variations for sale of the oozy, gooey, squishable, stretchable kids' toy through the generations.

    Aletheia Venator and Berlyn Perdomo demonstrate the stretchiness of their slime. - Berlyn Perdomo and her friend, Aletheia Venator, both 13, make and sell slime which can be seen on their instagram site @the.real.slimeshadyy [JIM DAMASKE   |   Times]
  3. After last year's drug-related deaths, Tampa's Sunset Music Festival says it's stepping up safety, security

    Public Safety

    TAMPA — Alex Haynes worked three jobs. He had a fiance and an infant son. He owned his own home in Melbourne. Last summer, the 22-year-old attended the Sunset Musical Festival at Raymond James Stadium.

    He left in an ambulance.

    Last year’s Sunset Music Festival was marked by dozens of medical emergencies.
  4. What you need to know for Friday, May 26

    News

    Catching you up on overnight happenings, and what you need to know today.

    Read this morning why Florida's most prized sweet corn is nearly extinct. [LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times]
  5. The last farmer of Florida's prized Zellwood corn is thinking of packing it in

    Consumer

    MOUNT DORA — Hank Scott steps out of his pickup between the long rows and snaps off an ear that grows about bellybutton-high on the forehead-high stalks.

    Hank Scott, co-owner of Long and Scott Farms, shucks an ear of corn on the farm in Mount Dora, Fla., on Wednesday, May 10, 2017. The farm specializes in Scott's Zellwood Triple-Sweet Gourmet Corn. LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times