Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Three people treated for carbon monoxide poisoning at Largo Mall

LARGO — Firefighters have evacuated three businesses at Largo Mall and are treating three people for exposure to carbon monoxide from a generator being used inside one of the units, Largo fire officials said.

Largo firefighters were called to the scene just after noon by an employee of Brite Now Dental at unit No. 210 who said people there were suffering from headaches.

The person who called 911 said they saw a man on the ground in front of an adjacent unit, No. 214, at the mall at 10500 Ulmerton Road, said Largo Fire Chief Michael Wallace.

"He was outside laying on the ground when we got there," Wallace said.

Within the last week and a half, the business at No. 214, which is vacant, had lost power after an electrical short circuit at an outside circuit box.

Someone there was using a gas-powered generator inside the storefront on Tuesday, Wallace said.

Fire officials found high levels of carbon monoxide in that business and lesser levels in the units to the right and the left. All three were evacuated. Readings at a nearby Target showed no fumes, Wallace said.

Wallace said three people were being taken to local hospitals.

The businesses have been ventilated.

Three people treated for carbon monoxide poisoning at Largo Mall 06/15/10 [Last modified: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:33pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours