Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Turning on the heat causes smoky haze at Tampa salon

TAMPA — Turning on the heat Monday morning at a nail salon caused a smoky haze that briefly closed a busy intersection.

Fire Rescue said a buildup of dust and debris in the central heating unit was to blame.

It began when Yamina Scales, who works at the Nail Gallery at 322 W Hillsborough Ave., unlocked the businesses and turned on the heat. Within minutes, she smelled smoke.

Fire crews responded at 11:49 a.m. and saw a haze gathering outside the building and coming from air ducts inside. The situation was under control in about 20 minutes, Fire Rescue said, and there were no injuries.

Hillsborough Avenue at Ola Avenue was closed in both directions for about 30 minutes while crews investigated.

Turning on the heat causes smoky haze at Tampa salon 11/08/10 [Last modified: Monday, November 8, 2010 5:07pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours