Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Two hospitalized after escaping Oldsmar apartment fire

OLDSMAR — Two people were hurt escaping a fire that ravaged their apartment early Tuesday.

The fire began just after 3 a.m. in downstairs unit 138 at the Forest Lakes Apartments on Hunters Lake Drive, firefighters said. Investigators believe unattended candles in the living room sparked the blaze while the couple were in the bedroom.

In order to escape the flames, the couple, who were not immediately identified, broke a window and climbed through to safety, firefighters said.

The two sustained injuries while climbing through the broken glass and were taken to Mease Countryside Hospital, officials said. The extent of their injuries was not immediately known.

Several of the couple's neighbors were evacuated at the time of the fire, but it did not appear the flames had spread to adjacent units, officials said.

An investigation is under way.

Two hospitalized after escaping Oldsmar apartment fire 02/14/12 [Last modified: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:54pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours