Light Rain77° WeatherLight Rain77° Weather

Two injured in possible propane explosion at Hillsborough apartments

TAMPA — Two family members were injured Monday morning in what firefighters believe was a propane explosion at an apartment complex's gas grill.

One teenager and one adult at the Oaks of Woodland Park Apartments, 4747 W Waters Ave., were taken to Tampa General Hospital, said Hillsborough County Fire Rescue spokesman Chip Shields.

Their injuries were not considered life-threatening. Both suffered mostly from flash burns, Shields said. The adult also suffered a fractured arm.

Firefighters and a hazardous materials team responded around 10 a.m. and swept the pool area and surrounding complex for an hour and a half, looking for lingering gas.

Shields said a family was barbecuing by the pool when the grill exploded into flames, ripped through its metal enclosure and launched 3 feet into the air.

One of two things caused the explosion, Shields said. Either there was a small leak in the propane tank, causing buildup in the grill's underground gas line; or the family left the gas valve on for too long before lighting it.

"We don't know which one's which," he said.

Two injured in possible propane explosion at Hillsborough apartments 05/26/14 [Last modified: Monday, May 26, 2014 6:31pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...