TAMPA — Two family members were injured Monday morning in what firefighters believe was a propane explosion at an apartment complex's gas grill.
One teenager and one adult at the Oaks of Woodland Park Apartments, 4747 W Waters Ave., were taken to Tampa General Hospital, said Hillsborough County Fire Rescue spokesman Chip Shields.
Their injuries were not considered life-threatening. Both suffered mostly from flash burns, Shields said. The adult also suffered a fractured arm.
Firefighters and a hazardous materials team responded around 10 a.m. and swept the pool area and surrounding complex for an hour and a half, looking for lingering gas.
Shields said a family was barbecuing by the pool when the grill exploded into flames, ripped through its metal enclosure and launched 3 feet into the air.
One of two things caused the explosion, Shields said. Either there was a small leak in the propane tank, causing buildup in the grill's underground gas line; or the family left the gas valve on for too long before lighting it.
"We don't know which one's which," he said.