Clear71° WeatherClear71° Weather

Two unattended candles ignite St. Petersburg fire

ST. PETERSBURG — Two unattended candles left burning early Wednesday started a fire that engulfed a single-story apartment, according to fire officials.

Crews responded to the fire at 1925 Second Ave. N, Unit 4, just before 3 a.m. No one was injured.

Flames poured out the building's eaves, igniting a nearby unit at 1945 Second Ave. N.

Fire investigators said the apartment's occupants left two candles burning while they went out for fast food. When they returned, the apartment was completely burned out. The occupants were not immediately identified.

Fire officials said there were no working smoke detectors and there was no power to the structure.

Lt. Joel Granata said a damage estimate wasn't immediately available, but the building was destroyed.

Follow This Just In on Twitter.

Two unattended candles ignite St. Petersburg fire 12/22/10 [Last modified: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:44am]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...