Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Untended pot of boiling potatoes ignites a blaze that leaves two families homeless

PALMETTO BEACH — Personnel at Tampa's Palmetto Beach fire station heard someone pounding on the front door at 4:47 a.m. Thursday.

About a minute later, the firefighters were at the duplex just down the street, at 2217 Linsey St., where they saw flames and smoke coming from the building.

The crews had the fire under control in 15 minutes. No one was injured, officials say. But two families were without homes on Thanksgiving after a pot of boiling potatoes caused an early-morning fire at a Tampa duplex.

An investigator reported that the fire started in unit A, where Allee Watson, 61, of Philadelphia was visiting his son, Stephan Watson, 47.

Allee Watson boiled potatoes on the stove early Thursday morning but forgot to turn the burner off when he was done, authorities said.

Thinking he had turned it off, he went to lay down in the bedroom at about 2 a.m.

Stephan Watson got home from work shortly after 2 a.m. and went to sleep. He woke up when his dog started barking.

The apartment was so full of thick black smoke he couldn't see anything, and he yelled for his father, Tampa Fire Rescue reported. The two men and the dog got out safely.

Next door, Debbie Pilcher, 45, and her daughter, Shainta Pilcher, 20, woke up when they heard their neighbors yelling. The two women and Shainta Pilcher's month-old daughter, Jasmine, got outside safely.

The fire burned only Watson's unit, but Pilcher's apartment was badly damaged by water and smoke. The total loss is about $45,000, Fire Rescue reported.

There wasn't a smoke alarm in Watson's unit, officials said.

The American Red Cross is helping the families with temporary shelter.

Tampa Fire Rescue spokesman Bill Wade says that cooking is the most common cause of fires in the home. He offered a few tips:

Always keep a watchful eye on food when it is cooking on the stove. Double check to make sure all burners are completely off when you are finished cooking and never leave anything — including food, dishes or cook books — resting on burners in case the burner is accidentally left on or turned on.

Times staff writer Luis Perez contributed to this report. Jessica Vander Velde can be reached at (813) 226-3433 or jvandervelde@sptimes.com.

Untended pot of boiling potatoes ignites a blaze that leaves two families homeless 11/25/10 [Last modified: Thursday, November 25, 2010 10:23pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Observations from a liberal, gay, Latino, feminist Florida House freshman

    Blogs

    State Rep. Carlos Guillermo Smith, D-Orlando,  rocked the Florida LGBTA Democratic Caucus dinner at Tallahassee's Hotel Duval Satursday night with his unabashedly liberal and passionate take on the myriad issues he said are key to LGBTQ Floridians. Among them: Access to guns, Reproductive rights, home …

    Carlos G. Smith
  2. Delta Sigma Theta honors outgoing national president

    Human Interest

    During her four years as national president of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Paulette Walker said she always focused on the comma between "Sorority" and "Inc."

    Paulette Walker, the former director of undergraduate programs and internship in the College of Education at the University of South Florida, will be honored on Saturday for her leadership in the Delta Sigma Theta sorority.
  3. 10 sailors missing, 5 hurt in collision of USS John S. McCain

    SEOUL —Ten U.S. Navy sailors are missing and five have been injured after the USS John S. McCain destroyer collided with an oil tanker near Singapore early Monday morning.

    In this Jan. 22, 2017, photo provided by U.S. Navy, the USS John S. McCain patrols in the South China Sea while supporting security efforts in the region. The guided-missile destroyer collided with a merchant ship on Monday, Aug. 21, in waters east of Singapore and the Straits of Malacca. Ten sailors were missing, and five were injured, the Navy said. [James Vazquez/U.S. Navy via AP]
  4. Pasco County Fire Rescue fighting a two-alarm fire started by an explosion

    Fire

    Two houses are on fire and one victim has been critically burned and taken to a trauma center following an explosion at a home at 8652 Velvet Dr, in Port Richey.

  5. Rays see the Blake Snell they've been waiting for in win over Mariners

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — It was a one-run game Sunday when the Mariners' Robinson Cano singled with one out in the seventh inning, bringing the dangerous Nelson Cruz to the plate.

    Tampa Bay Rays starting pitcher Blake Snell (4) throwing in the third inning of the game between the Seattle Mariners and the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Sunday, Aug. 20, 2017.