LARGO — Sue Myers and her dog, Beau, had reached the last stop of their morning walk Thursday when Myers smelled smoke.
The 72-year-old retiree looked up and saw black smoke billowing from a neighbor's screened-in porch. She rushed over, banged on the walls of the mobile home and screamed.
Through the windows of Susan Collins' home, Myers could see flames at least 6 feet high.
"I was just starting to panic when she opened the door," Myers said.
Collins seemed disoriented and said she needed to go back for her oxygen tank.
"That's when I grabbed her and said, 'No, damn it, we're going.' Then, it was like I was dragging her."
She pulled Collins away from the home, which was quickly completely engulfed, Myers said.
Another neighbor summoned firefighters to the Down Yonder mobile home park at 7001 142nd Ave. N about 7:30 a.m., Myers said.
Collins had fallen asleep while smoking in her living room, said Largo Fire Rescue Assistant Chief Josh Stefancic. She was taken to a hospital and treated for smoke inhalation, he said.
The single-wide mobile home was a total loss, he said.
Beau, a 7-year-old apricot toy poodle, generally gets up between 7 and 8 a.m. Thankfully, he awoke on the early side Thursday, Myers said.
"She's probably lucky to be alive, and I think it's just because I had to take my dog out," Myers said. "It's not because I did anything great or heroic."