Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

New Port Richey man with Alzheimer's returns home

NEW PORT RICHEY — The 87-year-old New Port Richey man who drove away from home Monday returned home early Tuesday, police said.

Police issued a Silver Alert late Monday after Robert Lee Haywood left home in a white 2003 Buick Century about 2 p.m.

About four hours later, Haywood stopped at the Sumter County Sheriff's Office and asked for directions back to Pasco County, said New Port Richey police Lt. Steve Kostas.

Sumter deputies took his information and sent him back on the road.

They didn't know that Haywood, of 6604 Spring Flower Drive, suffers from Alzheimer's disease and short-term memory loss and was missing.

When New Port Richey police issued the alert, Sumter deputies contacted the department and said Haywood had been there earlier that night.

Police did not receive any more information about Haywood's location until about 5 a.m. Tuesday.

Haywood's Buick was blocking a garbage truck that was trying to empty a trash bin near Holiday Lake Estates.

The truck driver sounded his horn at Haywood and got him to drive away, Kostas said. A Pasco deputy noticed the commotion and pulled him over.

The deputy noticed Haywood's Silver Alert and called New Port Richey police at 5:04 a.m.

Haywood's family took him back home. He was healthy but tired after having left home about 15 hours earlier, Kostas said.

"He had no idea where he was," he said. He could not tell police where he had been.

Follow This Just In on Twitter.

New Port Richey man with Alzheimer's returns home 04/27/10 [Last modified: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:19am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  2. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.
  3. Told not to look, Donald Trump looks at the solar eclipse

    National

    Of course he looked.

    Monday's solar eclipse — life-giving, eye-threatening, ostensibly apolitical — summoned the nation's First Viewer to the Truman Balcony of the White House around 2:38 p.m. Eastern time.

    The executive metaphor came quickly.

    President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump view the solar eclipse from the Truman balcony of the White House, in Washington, Aug. 21, 2017. [Al Drago | New York Times]
  4. Secret Service says it will run out of money to protect Trump and his family Sept. 30

    National

    WASHINGTON — The Secret Service said Monday that it has enough money to cover the cost of protecting President Donald Trump and his family through the end of September, but after that the agency will hit a federally mandated cap on salaries and overtime unless Congress intervenes.

    Secret service agents walk with President Donald Trump after a ceremony to welcome the 2016 NCAA Football National Champions the Clemson Tigers on the South Lawn of the White House on June 12, 2017. [Olivier Douliery | Sipa USA via TNS]
  5. After fraught debate, Trump to disclose new Afghanistan plan

    War

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump will unveil his updated Afghanistan policy Monday night in a rare, prime-time address to a nation that broadly shares his pessimism about American involvement in the 16-year conflict. Although he may send a few thousand more troops, there are no signs of a major shift in …

    U.S. soldiers patrol the perimeter of a weapons cache near the U.S. military base in Bagram, Afghanistan in 2003. Sixteen years of U.S. warfare in Afghanistan have left the insurgents as strong as ever and the nation's future precarious. Facing a quagmire, President Donald Trump on Monday will outline his strategy for a country that has historically snared great powers and defied easy solutions.  [Associated Press (2003)]