Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Off-duty paramedic revives a Tampa toddler who nearly drowned across the street

Josh Schwade, a Hillsborough Fire Rescue paramedic for three months, knew what to do when the knock to the door came asking for help with a near-drowning.


Josh Schwade, a Hillsborough Fire Rescue paramedic for three months, knew what to do when the knock to the door came asking for help with a near-drowning.

TAMPA — Josh Schwade opened his front door to the urgent knocking.

"A child almost drowned," his neighbor told him.

The two ran across the street to the side of a drenched, blue-lipped toddler lying on a pool deck.

Seventeen-month-old Oliver White had no pulse.

Schwade, 27, a paramedic with Hillsborough County Fire Rescue for just three months, didn't hesitate.

He administered CPR to the boy until a veteran Tampa police officer arrived and shared in the effort to revive the child. When on-duty paramedics arrived, they took the boy to University Community Hospital, where he remained Tuesday in critical condition.

Tampa police say the toddler's babysitters discovered the child unconscious in a backyard pool at 705 116th Ave. around 10:30 a.m.

The babysitters, a 32-year-old woman and her 49-year-old boyfriend, had been watching the boy and his 4-year-old brother as a favor to friends.

After four years without a vacation, the boy's parents had decided to head to a ranch in Montana, police said.

The babysitters told police they'd just stopped to talk in a bedroom for what seemed like five minutes.

At the time, they said, the younger boy was in a high chair eating breakfast and his brother was playing nearby.

In other parts of the house, two adults and three children ages 12, 15 and 16, were asleep.

Mid-conversation, the two babysitters noticed the house seemed unusually quiet, police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said.

They returned to the kitchen and discovered that the 17-month-old was gone. After a brief search, they found Oliver in the backyard pool.

The boyfriend pulled the child from the water while the father of the female babysitter ran across the street to get Schwade.

When Schwade arrived, he said, someone was on the phone with 911. Schwade bent over the boy for about two minutes, administering four cycles of CPR.

"Come on, come on," Schwade urged the boy, repeating his name.

Tampa police Officer Nick Wilson soon joined in, the two of them taking turns.

"I just hope this kid pulls through," Schwade said a few hours later.

It's unclear how Oliver escaped the kitchen. Two back doors had been locked, while the front door was unlocked, McElroy said.

Police were able to track down Oliver's parents at the Montana ranch Tuesday afternoon and give them word of Oliver's condition. The boy is hooked up to respirators, McElroy said, and his pulse has recovered.

Wilson said he didn't want to talk about his role in helping revive the child, though McElroy said he'd described the incident as emotionally difficult.

"I was just doing my job," Wilson said afterward, waving reporters toward the off-duty Schwade.

Schwade's response was similarly low-key, shrugging off any suggestion that his actions were heroic.

"I would hope that someone else would do this for my child," he said. "In my training, it kind of comes natural."

McElroy said that while the near-drowning appears to be nothing more than "a tragic accident," it is still under investigation.

Police were withholding the names of the witnesses until the investigation was complete.

Rebecca Catalanello can be reached at or (813) 226-3383.

Off-duty paramedic revives a Tampa toddler who nearly drowned across the street 08/04/09 [Last modified: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 11:54pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Jones: Bucs need success to get national respect


    Tampa Bay Times columnist Tom Jones offers up his Two Cents on the world of sports.

    No respect

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Dirk Koetter walks the field during the second day of mandatory minicamp at One Buccaneer Place in Tampa, Fla., on Wednesday, June 14, 2017. LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times
  2. Hopes fade after landslide destroys Chinese village (w/video)


    Crews searching through the night in the rubble left by a landslide that buried a mountain village under tons of soil and rocks in southwestern China found 15 bodies, but more than 110 more people remained missing.

    Vehicles and people line a road leading to the site of a landslide in Xinmo village in Mao County on Saturday in southwestern China’s Sichuan Province. More than 100 people remained missing after the village was buried under tons of rocks and soil.
  3. Rookie Jake Faria dissatisfied with performance in Rays' loss to Orioles

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — The rookie pitcher walked to his locker Saturday after tossing the fourth quality start in as many tries to begin his career. He held the potent Orioles bats to three runs and for six innings gave his team a chance to win.

    Orioles third baseman Manny Machado tags out the Rays’ Mallex Smith at third after a rundown in the first inning.
  4. Thousands converge in two St. Pete locations celebrating LGBT rights

    Human Interest

    ST. PETERSBURG — Tom Rockhill didn't know what to expect Saturday, but by noon people were knocking on the door of his bar Right Around the Corner in Grand Central.

    (From left to right) Emma Chalut 18, gets a rainbow sticker on her cheek from her sister Ellie, 15 both of Jacksonville before the annual St. Pete Pride parade in downtown St. Petersburg on Saturday. This year the route was changed from the Grand Central and Kenwood area to Bayshore Drive.
[EVE EDELHEIT   |   Times]
  5. Retired Florida Supreme Court Justice Parker Lee McDonald dies

    TALLAHASSEE — A former Florida Supreme Court justice, who wrote a decision that prevented lawyers from excluding jurors because of their race, has died.

    Former Florida Supreme Court Justice Parker Lee McDonald died Saturday, the court said in a statement. He was 93.