ST. PETERSBURG — An 80-year-old woman suffered minor injuries after inhaling smoke in a Friday afternoon fire reported on the first-floor of a two-story building near Crescent Lake.
She was transported to the Edward White Hospital where she is in stable condition.
Firefighters say she was napping at the time of the fire and that a smoke detector woke her and likely saved her from serious injury.
St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue responded to a fire at 218 13th Ave. N at 1:45 p.m.
The fire, which started in an air conditioning unit, was contained to the living room of a first-floor apartment, according to Lt. Joel Granata. There was minor smoke damage on the second floor. The fire caused about $10,000 in damage.
Before fire crews arrived, two residents unsuccessfully attempted to put the fire out with fire extinguishers.
Follow This Just In on Twitter.