Tuesday, February 20, 2018
Public safety

Pasco officials plan to test drinking water at stabilized sinkhole

LAND O'LAKES — The massive sinkhole that destroyed one home and nearly swallowed another last week seems to have stabilized, Pasco County officials reported Monday. But there is much work still to be done at the site, they said, including testing the nearby drinking water.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:Land O'Lakes sinkhole deepens slightly, now stable

The sinkhole's dimensions remain at 225 feet wide and 50 feet deep, said Assistant County Administrator for Public Safety Kevin Guthrie.

"The sinkhole is indeed dormant," he said. "We are in about hour 50 of no activity, which is good."

The Florida Department of Environmental Protection will perform another water assessment test Monday, officials said. The results are expected to be in by 3 p.m. Tuesday.

What began as a small depression under a boat parked in the front yard of a home along Ocean Pines Drive on Friday quickly grew into a giant pit that destroyed two homes and prompted officials to categorize at least 11 surrounding homes as unsafe.

Four of the 11 affected families were able to return to their homes on Saturday, said Pasco County Public Information Officer Doug Tobin. He said the county will be adding extra security to the neighborhood.

On Wednesday, Duke Energy will be removing power poles so cranes can get close to the sinkhole and begin cleanup efforts. Those electrical lines will be rewired and the poles will be replaced within the day.

Once the cleanup process begins, officials said, the site will become a no-trespassing area. Officials say they don't feel comfortable with the remaining evacuated families returning right away, due to safety concerns.

"We will do everything in our power to get those folks back into their homes as quickly as we can," Guthrie said. "(But) this will be done slowly, deliberately and methodically so we don't do any more damage to the situation than what's already occurred."

All the homeowners have insurance, Guthrie said, though he didn't know the details or extent of their policies. However, there were renters occupying the two destroyed homes and neither had renter's insurance.

"This is just devastating for our community," Pasco County Commissioner Kathryn Starkey said. "I'm very thankful we had no loss of life."

The United Way of Pasco County has started a fund to assist the families, Starkey said. She said all proceeds will go directly to the victims and zero administrative funds will be used.

Anyone interested in donating can text the word SINKHOLE to 41444 or can visit unitedwaypasco.org.

Contact Samantha Putterman at [email protected] Contact Laura Newberry at [email protected]

Comments
Fingerprint on Gatorade bottle leads to arrest of man, 23, in sexual assault of 71-year-old woman

Fingerprint on Gatorade bottle leads to arrest of man, 23, in sexual assault of 71-year-old woman

NEW PORT RICHEY — The 23-year-old man wanted in connection with sexually assaulting a 71-year-old woman on Monday left behind the clue that deputies said led them right to him: A fingerprint on a Gatorade bottle.Deputies said that and other evidence ...
Updated: 2 hours ago
County gives initial support to adding deputies at Hernando elementary schools

County gives initial support to adding deputies at Hernando elementary schools

BROOKSVILLE — The Hernando County Commission on Tuesday informally supported adding as many as 10 school resource officers in county schools, including one for every elementary school, in an effort to bolster security in the wake of the deadly school...
Updated: 5 hours ago
Next stop for Parkland school shooting survivors: the Florida Capitol

Next stop for Parkland school shooting survivors: the Florida Capitol

PARKLAND — Students who survived the shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School began a 400-mile journey to Florida’s capital Tuesday to urge lawmakers to prevent a repeat of the massacre that killed 17 students and faculty last week.Three buses carryi...
Updated: 5 hours ago
Man charged with killing wife who disappeared at sea

Man charged with killing wife who disappeared at sea

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A man who claimed his wife disappeared at sea when their boat collided with an unknown object near the Bahamas was charged Tuesday with killing her and intentionally trying to sink the vessel to cover his tracks.Lewis Bennett...
Updated: 6 hours ago
She drove drunk with a child in the backseat, deputies say. She said she ‘just got out of rehab’

She drove drunk with a child in the backseat, deputies say. She said she ‘just got out of rehab’

A Miami woman is accused of driving intoxicated with a child in the back seat of her car — and she told a Palm Beach County Sheriff’s deputy that she "just got out of rehab," according to arrest recordsStephanie Roque, 30, was traveling through Welli...
Updated: 7 hours ago
Investigators find insufficient evidence against former state fair executive director

Investigators find insufficient evidence against former state fair executive director

TAMPA — Charles Pesano may have used his position as executive director of the Florida State Fair to funnel business to his family’s company, get Tampa Bay Rays tickets and have a hot tub installed in his Valrico home, but there is no evidence he com...
Updated: 8 hours ago
Girl, 12, sister of murder victim, found safe after leaving Bradenton home

Girl, 12, sister of murder victim, found safe after leaving Bradenton home

BRADENTON — Jalyssa Shannon, the sister of 13-year-old Riverview murder victim Janessa Shannon, was found safe Monday evening after leaving her mother’s Bradenton home Sunday, authorities said.Jalyssa was found about 7 p.m., according to the Manatee ...
Updated: 11 hours ago
Young child struck by vehicle in Tampa

Young child struck by vehicle in Tampa

TAMPA — A young child was injured after being struck by a vehicle Thursday morning, according to police.The crash involved a pedestrian and a vehicle near Myrtle Street and Serena Drive around 7:45 a.m., police said.The child sustained non-life threa...
Published: 02/20/18
Most Americans say Trump, Congress not doing enough to stop mass shootings, Post-ABC poll finds

Most Americans say Trump, Congress not doing enough to stop mass shootings, Post-ABC poll finds

More than 6 in 10 Americans fault Congress and President Donald Trump for not doing enough to prevent mass shootings, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll, with most Americans continuing to say these incidents are more reflective of probl...
Published: 02/20/18
Romano: Until the Parkland shooting, lawmakers ignored requests for school safety funds

Romano: Until the Parkland shooting, lawmakers ignored requests for school safety funds

His words and his pleas are similar to what we’ve heard from others in recent days.Kids deserve to feel safe when they walk into a classroom in Florida. More security is needed. More boots on the ground would be helpful. Mostly, more money must be de...
Published: 02/20/18