LARGO — An order to boil drinking water issued after a county water main broke last week was lifted Sunday morning.
The announcement that the water was again safe to drink came after crews conducted another round of tests.
"The second round of water quality test samples have confirmed that the water is safe to drink and normal water use can resume immediately," said Tim Closterman, director of Pinellas County communications.
The boil-water order affected an estimated 100,000 people in south Pinellas County who get their water from the county. That did not include St. Petersburg and Dunedin, which have their own water supplies.
The order's lifting does not yet apply to 38 businesses closest to the break.
Officials anticipate those will regain water by Tuesday, said Dave Baker, a county spokesman. In the meantime, the county will provide bottled water.
That area includes at least one housing center, an RV park called Lee's Travel Park across the street from the burst main. But officials ran a line of potable water to hook into the park's supply, Baker said.
The broken water main, one of three primary feeders for county water customers in south Pinellas, was scheduled for replacement as part of a yearlong project that began in August, Kevin Becotte, the county's interim utilities director, said Saturday. Age was the likely cause of the break, he said.
Plans to replace the line last year were delayed because of budget cuts, Baker said.
The intersection near the burst main, at 142nd Avenue N and Belcher Road, will be closed for most of the week, Closterman said.
Officials also closed a site at the utility's general maintenance department on 142nd Avenue that had distributed bottled water on Christmas Day.
Customers still experiencing low pressure can contact the county's customer service line at (727) 464-4000.