Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Pinellas County residents will pay for false security alarm alerts

Pinellas County Sheriff's deputies will today begin ticketing residents and business owners for false alarms from their security systems as part of a long-planned effort to curb numbers of unnecessary deputy responses.

Reducing false alarms allows deputies to focus on more urgent matters and could provide a short-term revenue boost for a county short on funds.

The policy's launch marks the culmination of an awareness campaign that sheriff's Sgt. Larry Nalven described as successful.

As part of the new requirements, residents and business owners must now register security alarms with the Sheriff's Office, or they will face more severe fines for false alarms.

Non-registered, repeat offenders face fines of as much as $600.

About 6,000 residents and businesses have registered so far, he said, but didn't know how many still needed to.

Several business owners and managers Tuesday said they had already registered alarms with no problem.

As part of the program, those who register their security alarms with the Sheriff's Office will receive two "free passes" in a 12-month period.

The new fines are part of a long-planned effort to reduce numbers of false alarms, which have topped 14,000 annually during the past several years.

The new false alarm fines mirror a national trend, as communities across the nation look to economize.

False alarms divert responding deputies from more pressing duties, Nalven said, and instituting fines will encourage residents and business owners to take more care when using security systems.

Both the city of St. Petersburg and Hillsborough County have reported the number of false alarms dropped to half since implementing similar policies in recent years.

As false alarms are expected to drop, revenue from fines could provide a needed boost for a county plagued by budget shortfalls. Pinellas County is facing an $85 million budget shortfall and is poised to eliminate hundreds of jobs.

If Pinellas follows Hillsborough and St. Petersburg by cutting false alarms in half, the county could free up more than $300,000 (based on the $25 per-hour pay rate for sheriff's deputies, the average time it takes to deal with false alarms — roughly an hour — and the reduction of incidents from 14,000 to 7,000).

Official financial estimates for the plan were not available Tuesday.

"That's not my concern," Nalven said. Rather, he's intent on reducing the numbers of false calls.

While Nalven said the awareness campaign was largely successful, not everyone was ready for the new plan.

Phil Wrobel, president of the Indian Rocks Beach Homeowners Association, was surprised Tuesday to learn that members of his association should have already registered their security alarms with the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office. "I didn't know about it," he told a Times reporter.

According to the plan, responding deputies will have discretion in determining whether a call qualifies as a false alarm.

For cases in which electrical storms set off security alarms, for example, deputies may choose not to issue fines.

In addition, Nalven acknowledged that seasonal residents in some of the affected beach communities won't know to register their alarms.

It's another situation, he said, where the rules aren't set in stone: "That is something that can also be taken into consideration."

Brian Spegele can be reached at bspegele@sptimes.com or (727) 445-4154.

Pinellas County residents will pay for false security alarm alerts 06/30/09 [Last modified: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:46pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  2. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.
  3. Told not to look, Donald Trump looks at the solar eclipse

    National

    Of course he looked.

    Monday's solar eclipse — life-giving, eye-threatening, ostensibly apolitical — summoned the nation's First Viewer to the Truman Balcony of the White House around 2:38 p.m. Eastern time.

    The executive metaphor came quickly.

    President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump view the solar eclipse from the Truman balcony of the White House, in Washington, Aug. 21, 2017. [Al Drago | New York Times]
  4. Secret Service says it will run out of money to protect Trump and his family Sept. 30

    National

    WASHINGTON — The Secret Service said Monday that it has enough money to cover the cost of protecting President Donald Trump and his family through the end of September, but after that the agency will hit a federally mandated cap on salaries and overtime unless Congress intervenes.

    Secret service agents walk with President Donald Trump after a ceremony to welcome the 2016 NCAA Football National Champions the Clemson Tigers on the South Lawn of the White House on June 12, 2017. [Olivier Douliery | Sipa USA via TNS]
  5. After fraught debate, Trump to disclose new Afghanistan plan

    War

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump will unveil his updated Afghanistan policy Monday night in a rare, prime-time address to a nation that broadly shares his pessimism about American involvement in the 16-year conflict. Although he may send a few thousand more troops, there are no signs of a major shift in …

    U.S. soldiers patrol the perimeter of a weapons cache near the U.S. military base in Bagram, Afghanistan in 2003. Sixteen years of U.S. warfare in Afghanistan have left the insurgents as strong as ever and the nation's future precarious. Facing a quagmire, President Donald Trump on Monday will outline his strategy for a country that has historically snared great powers and defied easy solutions.  [Associated Press (2003)]