Propane gas leak closes intersection
A propane gas leak at the intersection of Springwood Road and Landover Boulevard caused a temporary closure of the intersection Thursday morning and the evacuation of about a dozen homes within a block of the damaged line. The leak was caused by a crew from D.A.B. Constructors Inc. that accidentally struck the line just before 9 a.m., according to a news release from the Hernando County Sheriff's office. D.A.B. Constructors is the contractor on the county's widening project on nearby Elgin Boulevard.
Gas was cut off to the damaged section. There were no injuries and no fire. Heritage Propane repaired the line and officials reopened the intersection and lifted the evacuation order within an hour and a half of the accident, authorities said.