TAMPA — Workers at the 403-unit Waterman's Crossing Apartments smelled smoke Tuesday and pulled a fire alarm. The alarm worked. That, in itself, marked progress for a complex that drew the wrath of city officials two months ago when inspections found numerous smoke detectors and fire alarms that didn't work.
Tampa fire Capt. Bill Wade said Tuesday's fire, which appeared to be electrical in nature, started in a vacant apartment.
Firefighters broke through the walls and ceiling to reach the smoldering wiring. Wade said a fire investigator would be asking Tampa code enforcement to make sure the wiring meets regulations.