Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Sanford offers police chief job to deputy chief of Chicago-area city

CHICAGO — Elgin, Ill., Deputy Police Chief Cecil Smith has been offered the job of police chief in Sanford, the community that drew national controversy over authorities' handling of the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, officials announced Tuesday.

If Smith accepts the job, he would succeed former Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee, who was fired last year after a public outcry when police failed to quickly arrest shooting suspect George Zimmerman. Critics accused Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, with targeting Martin, 17, because he was black. Zimmerman has claimed he acted in self defense.

Smith, 51, said he is mulling over the job offer.

"It is going to take a little family conversation to find out if this is a good fit for us or not," he said. "Should everything work out, I look forward to the challenge, in working with the city of Sanford, in resolving any issues that are underlying in the community."

Sanford City Manager Norton Bonaparte has said that Sanford must "seek ways to heal itself" from the controversy. The teen's Feb. 26 death followed years of complaints, primarily from Sanford's black community, about racism by police against black residents.

Smith was one of five candidates — and one of two black candidates — who traveled to Sanford this month to meet with city leaders and residents about the job. The candidates were chosen from 76 applicants.

"Elgin, unlike Sanford, had issues 20, 30 years ago," Smith said. "You have to have the buy-in from the community to make change. I believe in sitting down and working with those issues."

Sanford's population is about half the size of Elgin's 110,000 residents. Sanford employs 22 police officers, compared with Elgin's 180 officers, Smith said.

Sanford offered Smith an annual salary of $110,469.

Sanford offers police chief job to deputy chief of Chicago-area city 01/29/13 [Last modified: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:10pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Tribune News Service.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Rowdies shut out at Pittsburgh

    Soccer

    PITTSBURGH — The Rowdies lost their first USL game in nearly a month, 1-0 to Pittsburgh on Thursday night.

  2. Trump reveals that he didn't record Comey after all

    Politics

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump declared Thursday he never made and doesn't have recordings of his private conversations with ousted former FBI director James Comey, ending a monthlong guessing game that he started with a cryptic tweet and that ensnared his administration in yet more controversy.

    President Donald Trump said Thursday that he didn’t record his conversations with James Comey.
  3. Lightning fans, don't get attached to your first-round draft picks

    Lightning Strikes

    CHICAGO — When Lightning GM Steve Yzerman announces his first-round pick tonight in the amateur draft at No. 14, he'll invite the prospect onto the stage for the once-in-a-lifetime photo opportunity.

    Tampa Bay Lightning left wing Jonathan Drouin (27) eludes  Montreal Canadiens left wing Phillip Danault (24) during the second period of Wednesday???‚??„?s (12/28/16) game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Montreal Canadiens at the Amalie Arena in Tampa.
  4. Investigation Discovery TV show profiles 2011 Landy Martinez murder case

    Crime

    The murder of a St. Petersburg man will be featured this week on a new true crime series Murder Calls on Investigation Discovery.

    Jose Adame sits in a Pinellas County courtroom during his 2016 trial and conviction for first-degree murder. Adame was convicted of first-degree murder last year for torturing and then executing his boyfriend as he pleaded for his life in 2011. Now it will be featured in a new true crime series Murder Calls on Investigation Discovery. The episode will air on June 26 at 9 p.m. [DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD   |   Times]
  5. Uhuru mayoral candidate Jesse Nevel protests exclusion from debate

    Blogs

    ST. PETERSBURG — Jesse Nevel, the International People’s Democratic Uhuru Movement candidate for mayor, on Thursday demanded that he be allowed to participate in a July 25 televised debate between incumbent Mayor Rick Kriseman and challenger Rick Baker.

    Mayoral candidate Jesse Nevel holds a news conference outside the headquarters of the Tampa Bay Times on Thursday to protest his exclusion from the mayoral debate. Nevel is a member of the International People’s Democratic Uhuru Movement.