SEMINOLE — Chantelle Bang spotted her 2-year-old son floating in the family pool through the sliding glass window of her home.
Bang, 21, ran to the pool and jumped in, pulling her unconscious son, Noah, to the side. She yelled for his grandmother, Karen.
Then she did something she learned while she was pregnant: CPR.
It may have saved his life Monday night.
"That's why when the paramedics got there, he was looking well," she said. "Or starting to."
Bang patted Noah on the back, she said, then began chest compressions and breathing air into his lungs. Noah's grandmother helped with the CPR after hearing the poolside commotion. She also had taken a CPR class. The boy's uncle called 911, Bang said.
After a few minutes, Noah regained consciousness. By the time paramedics arrived, the boy was breathing and looking around, she said.
"We were thanking God that he was breathing and starting to look better," Bang said.
Paramedics removed his clothes and wrapped him in blankets before taking him to All Children's Hospital, where Bang said he did well. He was discharged Monday night.
Noah had been playing with his mother and uncle in the back room, which is connected to the pool area through a sliding door and the home's garage.
Bang left the room for about five minutes to charge her phone, she said. The boy's uncle went to an adjacent room, she said.
When she returned, neither her son nor his uncle were in the room. There was no safety fence around the pool, deputies said.
Bang said Noah slipped out a garage door, which is ordinarily locked but wasn't this time. She said they will buy something to make the doors more difficult to open,
"We're just very, very lucky," Bang said. "Very blessed."