Mostly Cloudy79° WeatherMostly Cloudy79° Weather

Seven sent to hospitals after SUV is left running in the garage at Tampa home

TAMPA — Seven people at a home where a sport utility vehicle was left running in the garage were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning Monday, according to Tampa Fire Rescue.

Authorities say they responded to the home at 3422 W Gray St. just before noon and found several people in the front yard. The victims had trouble breathing and were vomiting.

Fire Rescue officials found an SUV running in a closed garage. It was unclear how long it had been running.

The patients were men and women ranging in age from the early 20s to the early 30s. Their names were not released.

At the single-family, contemporary home Monday evening, about a half-dozen cars were parked in the driveway and yard, including a van with a sign for Koto's Steakhouse and Sushi Bar on S Howard Avenue. No furniture was visible through an open front door, only packed boxes.

A man appeared at the door, still wearing his hospital bracelet. He declined to give his name. Koto's manager Yan Lin confirmed several of the home's residents work at Koto's.

"They're fine," she said.

Records show that the home, north of Kennedy Boulevard and east of Dale Mabry Highway, was built in 2001 and is owned by an out-of-state company.

Authorities say the man who reported the incident was in the house but did not require medical treatment.

Hazardous material technicians reported that their meters showed high levels of carbon monoxide in the home.

The victims were transported to local hospitals — three to St. Joseph's Hospital and four to Tampa General Hospital — and were treated for high levels of carbon monoxide.

Fire Rescue estimated 31 members of the agency responded to the incident.

Reach Jodie Tillman at jtillman@sptimes.com or (813) 226-3374.

Seven sent to hospitals after SUV is left running in the garage at Tampa home 06/13/11 [Last modified: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:37am]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...