Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

South Tampa home catches fire

TAMPA — A fire damaged a South Tampa house early this morning, according to Tampa Fire Rescue.

Firefighters found smoke and flames coming from the single-story home's garage at 4711 Fair Oaks Ave. about 2:30 a.m. The fire was under control in about 25 minutes, and no one was injured, rescuers said.

Windell Ashley, 59, and his wife, Audrey, 64, were asleep inside and awoke smelling smoke. There was no smoke alarm in the house, Tampa Fire Rescue said.

An investigator said the Ashleys had a freezer in the garage that was powered by an extension cord plugged into a three-way outlet. An electrical failure in that outlet caused the fire.

The garage was heavily damaged and the house had extensive smoke damage. Estimated losses are at least $75,000.

The Ashleys are staying with neighbors temporarily, Fire Rescue said.

South Tampa home catches fire 06/25/09 [Last modified: Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:58am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours