TAMPA — A squirrel that made contact with a power cable Monday morning caused a power outage at three schools and hundreds of homes and businesses, Tampa Electric said.
"Our favorite mammal is at it again," said TECO Energy spokeswoman Cherie Jacobs.
The outages were reported at Lavoy Elementary, Jefferson High and Roland Park magnet school about 8:30 a.m. About 700 Tampa Electric customers were affected.
When Tampa Electric crews arrived, they discovered the squirrel, dead from the electric shock, Jacobs said.
FCAT testing, scheduled to take place Monday, was suspended until power was restored, said Hillsborough County Schools spokesman Steve Hegarty.
Power at Jefferson, Lavoy, and part of Roland Park was restored about 9:30 a.m., Jacobs said. Power at Roland Park was fully restored by 11 a.m.
More than 2,000 students attend the three schools.