ST. PETERSBURG — Students are back in class at Westgate Elementary School after a gas leak forced them to evacuate for about an hour Wednesday morning.
Students evacuated the school, 3560 58 St. N, about 8:30 a.m. after a backhoe severed a natural gas line during construction near the school's northwest corner, said St. Petersburg Fire Rescue spokesman Joel Granata.
Gas odor seeped into the school's classrooms, he said.
Firefighters placed a temporary clamp on the pipe, and TECO workers were making repairs, he said.
Fire fighters gave children blankets and jackets to help them deal with cold weather, he said.
Students returned to classes about 9:20 a.m., he said. Firefighters went through every room with a gas meter to make sure the air was safe, he said.
Parents were notified about the gas leak through the outbound calling system, said Andrea Zahn, Pinellas County Schools spokeswoman.
Westgate has 670 students, she said.
Follow This Just In on Twitter.