Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Tampa woman burned by grease spill

TAMPA — A Tampa grandmother suffered serious burns on her hands and arms Saturday afternoon when she accidentally spilled hot grease on herself while cooking, Tampa Fire Rescue said.

Firefighters rushed to 31112 W. Wyoming St. shortly before 4 p.m. to find the woman, who was not identified because it was a medical call, had spilled the oil while trying to move it in a pan.

"Hot grease is especially unforgiving," said Capt. Bill Wade. "Because when it hits the skin it sticks and continues to burn."

Wade said the woman was using the grease to make french fries for her grandchildren.

She was taken to Tampa General Hospital's burn unit.

Wade had advice for people cooking with grease: "Allow the grease to cool down first. And if you do get burned, run the burn under cool water and then seek medical attention."

Tampa woman burned by grease spill 06/27/09 [Last modified: Saturday, June 27, 2009 7:32pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours